Magnificent Nepal and Bhutan (Summer 2019)
Brochure Type: Luxury Gold 2019
With its ancient culture and the Himalayas as a backdrop, mountainous Nepal is a wealth of centuries-old stupas and temples. Bhutan, with the happiest citizens on earth, is an oasis of tranquillity. On this trip you will enjoy VIP treatment at a traditional mask dance and cultural show, explore the bustling streets of Thamel by rickshaw and flex your culinary skills preparing some Bhutanese delicacies!
- Kathmandu: Join your Travelling Concierge and mingle with your fellow guests during your Welcome Dinner at a local restaurant.
- Thimphu: You're invited into the home of a local family for a delicious home-cooked meal of typical regional fare.
- Ta Dzong: As you move to the next destination, enjoy a sampling of local tea and coffee.
- Paro: Try your hand at cooking some local Bhutanese delicacies in our cooking demonstration with a local chef. See if you can handle the hot red chillies or perhaps the local Bhutanese cheese would be more to your taste?
- Kathmandu: During your Celebration Dinner indulge in delicious Nepalese cuisine.
- Dining Summary: 9 Breakfasts (B), 2 Lunches (L), 1 Afternoon Tea (AT) and 5 Dinners with Wine (DW).
- Kathmandu: Ride by rickshaw through the bustling streets of the Thamel district.
- Kathmandu: During sightseeing with your Travelling Concierge see Durbar Square and the ancient Royal Palace complex.
- Kathmandu: Visit the holy shrine of Swayambhunath and enjoy the beautiful architecture.
- Kathmandu: Gaze at the marvel of Patan's temple of Teleju and the Statue of Yogendra Malla.
- Kathmandu: Visit a Tibetan Handicraft Centre and see how they make their local crafts.
- Fly to Paro: Experience the top of the world as you fly through the Himalayas to reach Paro.
- Kathmandu: Enjoy a relaxing short flight to Thimphu.
- Thimphu: Enjoy an evening orientation through the city centre with your Travelling Concierge.
- Thimphu: Sightseeing with a Local Expert includes the National Library, Zorig Chusum (Arts and Crafts School), Textile and Folk Heritage Museum, National Memorial Chorten and Tasichhodzong, the fortress of the glorious religion.
- Thimphu: Enjoy a visit to the bustling weekend local market and taste some of the local delicacies.
- Punakha: Visit the winter residence of the monk body that is also the capital of Bhutan - Punakha Dzong.
- Punakha: Walk to Chimi Lhakhang temple and admire the magnificent views over the Losesa Valley.
- Ta Dzong: Visit Bhutan's National Museum to see the impressive collection of art and relics.
- Paro: Visit Kyichu Lakhang, one of the oldest and most sacred shrines in the Kingdomand Drugyel Dzong, built to commemorate the 1646 victory over the Tibetan invaders.
- Paro: Join a hike to Taktshang Monastery known as the Tiger's Nest. The hike is a round-trip of about five hours, so it's a good idea to bring comfortable clothing and appropriate footwear.
- Fly to Kathmandu: Fly through the Himalayas once again to return to Kathmandu.
- Kathmandu: See the holiest of Hindu shrines, Pashupatinath Temple.
- Kathmandu: Visit Nepal's most important Buddhist site, Bodhnath. It is also the ancient capital of Bhadgaon.
- Kathmandu: Meet a local pottery craftsman who will explain the traditions and processes of their works, before guiding you as you try for yourself.
- Punakha: The Dhensa Boutique Resort sits in lush Punakha Valley and offers spectacular views.
- Kathmandu: Meet a local who has summited Everest and learn about the role played by Sherpa community in Everest expeditions.
- Paro: Have VIP treatment at a special traditional mask dance and cultural show. A key way that Bhutanese people pass on their social values to the next generation, this show includes a spectrum of entertainment bringing elements of folk, song, music all in ornate costumes and masks.
- You will be escorted by one of our fine Travelling Concierges, handpicked to serve as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas. See booking conditions for exemptions.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary (Available on departures with more than 8 guests).
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travelling Concierge will enchant you with a Luxury Gold Flourish, which is a local speciality representing the destination.
- At every hotel, you'll be treated to seamless baggage handling, with prompt delivery inside your room.
- Complimentary, private airport transfers are included on start and end dates and when additional accommodation has been booked through Luxury Gold. Private transfers may be purchased when additional accommodation has not been booked through Luxury Gold.
Call (408) 867-4088 for more information or to book today! Mention code 14239117
- Tour Operator
- Luxury Gold by Insight
- Offer valid through 3/31/2019
- 9 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Kathmandu||Kathmandu.: Your complimentary, private transfer takes you to your local departure airport. On arrival at Kathmandu's Tribhuvan International Airport, you will be greeted and transferred to your hotel. At 17:00, join your Travelling Concierge and fellow guests for a Welcome Dinner in the bustling Thamel neighbourhood, and head back to your hotel by rickshaw. (Dinner with Wine)|
Dwarika's Hotel, Kathmandu.
|Day 2||Kathmandu||Kathmandu Sightseeing.: The beating heart of Kathmandu is Durbar Square and ancient Royal Palace complex, laced with myriad temples, courtyards, statues and home of the 'Living Goddess'. Visit the holy shrine of Swayambhunath then head on to Patan's temple of Teleju, the Statue of Yogendra Malla and the Tibetan Handicraft Centre, before enjoying lunch. This evening, meet a local who has summitted Everest, to hear a personal account of the Sherpa community and their role in Everest expeditions. (Breakfast / Lunch)|
Dwarika's Hotel, Kathmandu.
|Day 3||Thimphu||Kathmandu, Paro and Thimphu.: Transfer to the airport for your flight over the Himalayas. You are welcomed on arrival in Paro and transferred to Thimphu, the modern capital of Bhutan. In the evening, join your Travelling Concierge for a walk through the centre of town to experience your first taste of Bhutan life up-close. (Breakfast)|
Taj Tashi, Thimphu.
|Day 4||Thimphu||Thimphu.: Head to Thimphu, the centre of government, religion and commerce for this small mountain kingdom. Home to civil servants and the monk body, Thimphu is an eclectic mix of tradition and modernity. Visit the National Memorial Chorten, a monument to world peace, and Tashichho Dzong, the 'fortress of the glorious religion'. Later, visit the bustling weekend market, full of photo opportunities and the chance to mingle with locals. In the evening, you join a local family to share a home-cooked meal. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Taj Tashi, Thimphu.
|Day 5||Punakha||Punakha sightseeing.: Sightseeing continues with a visit to the National Library to see a vast collection of ancient Buddhist texts and manuscripts and the Textile and Folk Heritage Museum. You'll also visit the Institute for Zorig Chusum - the School for the Arts - to see students learning the 13 traditional arts of Bhutan. Travel on to Punakha Dzong, the capital of Bhutan until 1955, and still the winter residence of the monk body. This afternoon is at leisure, why not enjoy the spa facilities at the Boutique Resort? (Breakfast)|
Dhensa Boutique Resort, Punakha.
|Day 6||Chimi Lhakhang||Chimi Lhakhang.: In the morning, enjoy a walk to Chimi Lhakhang, a sacred destination for Buddhists. The temple was built in the 15th century by Lama Drukpa Kunley, who travelled throughout Bhutan and Tibet using outrageous antics to provoke people to discard their preconceptions. The views from the temple are spectacular and are worth the walk! The afternoon is at leisure. (Breakfast)|
Dhensa Boutique Resort, Punakha.
|Day 7||Paro||Punakha to Paro.: In the morning, head to Paro and explore Ta Dzong, built to defend Rinpung Dzong during the 17th century. It now serves as Bhutan's National Museum. Later, walk down a hillside trail to see Rinpung Dzong, 'fortress of the heap of jewels' and visit Kyichu Lakhang, one of the oldest and most sacred shrines in the kingdom. You also visit Drukgyel Dzong, built to commemorate the 1646 victory over the Tibetan invaders. Travel on to Dochula Pass and stop for Afternoon Tea at this pleasant spot, situated in the Himalayas. Continue to Paro where tonight you will dine in a fantastic local restaurant. (Breakfast / Afternoon Tea / Dinner)|
Zhiwa Ling Heritage, Paro.
|Day 8||Paro||Paro and Tiger's Nest Hike.: Embark on a hike to the Taktshang Monastery, also known as Tiger's Nest. The monastery clings to a cliff face 3,120 metres above sea level, however the elevation of the walk is done at a gentle pace over approximately 500 metres from start to finish, with plenty of time to rest and take in the experience. In the evening, join a local chef for a cooking demonstration to show you how local Bhutanese delicacies are prepared. Try your hand at the preparation and taste Buthan's national dish. After dinner, enjoy a private traditional mask dance and cultural show, the leading way Bhutanese people transmit social values. (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)|
Zhiwa Ling, Paro.
|Day 9||Kathmandu||Kathmandu Sightseeing.: After an early morning flight to Kathmandu, spend the day exploring in this fantastic capital. See one of the holiest Hindu shrines, Pashupatinath Temple, on the banks of the Bagmati. Visit Bodhnath, a colossal stupa, and Nepal's most important Buddhist site. Continue on to visit the ancient capital of Bhadgaon. Learn about the traditional pottery making process and try your hand at a pottery making class, with a local craftsman. In the evening, toast your newfound friends at a Celebration Dinner at a local restaurant. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Dwarika's Hotel, Kathmandu.
|Day 10||Kathmandu||Depart Kathmandu.: After breakfast at the hotel, you will be transferred to the Tribhuvan International Airport for your onward flights. On arrival at your home airport, your driver will greet and escort you to your waiting car for your private transfer home. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person and include internal economy return airfares from Kathmandu and Paro. Visas: Visas are required for this trip, please speak to your Travel Agent at time of booking to assess your requirements. Apply for your Nepal Visa prior to starting this trip. Nepal Visa Fee is not included in price and obtaining at the airport is a time consuming process. Alternate Sightseeing: All departures between Dec and Feb will visit Simply Bhutan Museum on Day 4 instead of Zorig Chusum. Special Small Groups: All departures are limited to just 24 guests. Group Size: For departures with less than 5 guests there is a more personal service with Local Experts in each location in lieu of a Travelling Concierge. Guests are met on arrival and escorted to all sightseeing experiences with a private transfer between each location/city.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class